The KYHIA is the Kentucky State Chapter of the National Hemp Industries Association (HIA). The HIA is 501(c)(6) membership-based non-profit trade group that represents the interests of the hemp industry and encourages the research and development of new products made of industrial hemp. The goals of the HIA include:
- Educate the public about the attributes of hemp and hemp products.
- Facilitate the exchange of information and technology between hemp agriculturists, processors, manufacturers, distributors and retailers.
- Maintain and defend the integrity of hemp products.
- Advocate and support socially responsible and environmentally sound business practices.
Kentucky is once again becoming a leader in industrial hemp cultivation and production. The KYHIA acts as a supporting network to those seeking to work within the Kentucky hemp industry, providing all members with the benefits of a HIA membership. In addition, we offer a community of farmers, industries and experts that can be utilized at any time. With the influx of interest after the Farm Bill and last year’s pilot projects, the KYHIA continues to grow as a managing agency for hemp interests within the state.
As membership increases and the KYHIA becomes the leading resource for Kentucky Hemp, we are looking for interns from state universities to help manage our growing network. We’ve a developed an internship program that will give students a hands-on learning experience working within an emerging United States industry. Students will have the opportunity to learn from participating in a variety of activities such as, but not limited to:
- Working closely with executives and professionals within the industrial hemp industry.
- Managing a variety of social media outlets.
- Planning local and state events.
- Attending a number of educational and promotional events across the state and region.
- Writing pieces and discussing the current hemp movement for promotional outlets (blogging, press releases, social media content, promotional pieces, newsletter and other various media.)
- Managing membership database (contacts, members, donors.)
- Donor cultivation and fundraising.
- Grant writing and research.
- Researching and assembling various educational and promotional pieces.
- Doing various organizational, management and other miscellaneous tasks for the KYHIA team.
The KYHIA is looking for 1-2 individuals, each offering a unique set of skills and talents that will compliment our current leadership team. Interns will handle implementation of promotional activities that are part of the integrated marketing communication efforts for the KYHIA and our members. Applicants will be expected to attend client team meetings and conference calls while remaining informed about research, current industrial hemp legislation, our strategic direction and overall goals. Interns will be maintaining databases of members, donors, partners, and additional contact lists while handling mailings to these contacts. They will serve as the daily contact for the KYHIA leadership team, internal client team members or representatives associated with our promotional projects.
We are excited about providing this learning opportunity to students who have the motivation and passion to learn about the industrial hemp movement. Below is a list of prerequisites we would prefer from our applicants. However, if you do not meet all the requirements do not hesitate to apply. Our team is young and recognizes the importance of gaining related work experience while in college. This program is built to equip our interns with the tools and skills necessary to excel in the professional world.
Preferred Applicant Prerequisites
- Degree area in marketing/public relations/advertising, non-profit leadership, business, or ag business.
- Existing knowledge of industrial hemp and a passion to be a part of the current hemp movement.
- GPA 2.5 or higher.
- Junior or senior university status.
- Ability to maintain a professional appearance at all times.
- Detail oriented and able to manage several projects simultaneously while meeting deadlines.
- Proficient in Microsoft Programs – Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Publisher, Access.
- Organizational and management skills (experience).
- Knowledge of email management programs (Constant Contact, MailChimp.)
- Writing Skills – Journalism, blogging, etc.
- Communication Skills (verbal and written.)
- 8-10 hours a week to dedicated to various tasks, activities and responsibilities.
- Reliable mode of transportation and the ability to travel on occasion.
- Highspeed Internet access and a reliable computer.
- Electronic device with Facetime/Skype capabilities.
If you are interested in applying for our Internship Program please attach your cover letter and resume in an email to email@example.com with “KYHIA Internship Application” as the subject.