HEMP PRODUCT: Animal Feed
SUB MARKETS: Livestock, Pets, Animal Nutrition
The product in Day 21 of our 31 Days of Hemp campaign offers a nutritional supplement for our furry and feathered friends: hemp animal feed. We’ve already reviewed the wonderful qualities of hemp seeds in beverages and food for humans, and these same qualities make it great for pets, livestock, and birds. Hulled seeds are great additives for birdseed while the seed-cake (a by-product of making hemp oil) is good for poultry, especially laying hens. Ruminants such as cows and horses even benefit from the high fiber content of the plant’s stalk and leaves, while the seed-cake can “fatten up” cattle and sheep as a concentrated energy feed.
Animals that can digest parts* of the hemp plant include:
- Guinea Pigs
* Some animals, such as pigs and poultry, do not digest the hemp fiber well while cats can develop toxicity to Omega-6.
BULK VENDORS / SUPPLIERS:
- BJF Feeds (UK)
- North American Hemp and Grain Co. (Canada)
- Hemp Feeds for Horses (UK)
- Hardcore Corporation (India)
- Hemp Traders (US)
- Hemp Foods Australia (Australia)
- Sonubaits (UK)
Want to see more research and promotion of products like these? Donate or become a Kentucky Hemp Industries Association member today.